Here are 5 basic tips to help you create a shift in the moment:
- Hit the PAUSE Button – Just like on a remote control, you want to PAUSE. By pausing you give yourself the opportunity to recognize you are caught up in the situation and reacting to the circumstances.
- Take a BREATH - Focus on your breath for a moment. By doing this you are breaking the pattern. This simply activity can help you to relax and then determine what you want to do next.
- Ground yourself. Being grounded means being fully present: physically, emotionally and energetically. Your mind is not wandering and it gives you a greater sense of clarity. (stay tuned for tips on How to be Grounded)
- Take a mini holiday: Close your eyes and picture a situation or place that feels peaceful and rejuvenating. Engage all of your senses and enjoy the moment.
- Set Your Intention- Now that you have taken time to shift out of the situation and are present to the moment, check in and ask yourself, “what is my intention, what do I chose to do, how do I chose to be?” Setting an intention makes your choice concrete.
Once you have a clear intention, go forth and create what you want. Each time you find yourself reacting to a situation or feeling triggered, return to these 5 basic steps.
It is important to acknowledge that you can only change yourself and... it happens one step at a time. The more you practice, the more natural it will become. It takes commitment, desire and practice, but Shift Happens.